Putting Material on Reserve
What is the Course Reserve Collection?
The Course Reserve collection is the collection materials selected by instructors for use by students registered in specific courses at MCLA.
What can I place on Course Reserves?
- Commercially published textbooks;
- Courseware packages;
- Library-owned books, journal volumes and other materials;
- Instructor-owned books;
- Materials in which the instructor holds copyright (i.e. lecture notes);
Where is the Course Reserve Collection?
The collection is at the Circulation Desk , Main Floor, Freel Library (413-662-5321).
Placing Items on Course Reserve
To place material on Reserve instructors are asked to please use the Freel Library Reserve Request Form and deliver copies of readings to the circulation or reserve desks of the Freel Library in person. More information on filling out the reserve request form can be found here. Please allow 48 hours for processing reserve requests.
Are there limits to the number of items that can be placed on Course Reserve?
Due to space constraints and processing demands, a limit of 40 items per course is in place. Under exceptional circumstances, appeals to exceed this limit may be submitted to Glenn Lawson, Head, Access Services.
What if the Freel Library does not own the item I’d like to put on reserve?
It is possible to place a personal copy of any commercially produced item on course reserve. Bring any personal copies you wish to place on reserve to the Reserve Desk of the Freel Library.
The Freel Library will also attempt to order books needed for course reserve. Please contact Maureen Horak well in advance of when the item is needed for Course Reserve to inquire about ordering books for Course Reserve that the Library does not own.
Using the Reserve Request Form
To place materials on reserve use the Freel Library Reserve Request Form
All reserve requests must be submitted 48 hours in advance.
See the example below on how to fill out the form.
- You need to log in to the form using your A number so the form can pull your course information from Banner.
- Once you’ve logged in you will pick a term.
- Next you will fill out the form for all materials you want on reserve, noting if the item is available at the Freel Library and what type of material it is. There is space at the bottom of the form to put special instructions or notes.
- Use the Request Reserves button to submit the request. Then bring your items to the circulation desk.
- If you have more materials to put on reserve after you have submitted the request, just fill out the form again.